Turning your Nook Color into an Android 4.1 Jellybean tablet

Converting a nook color into a Jellybean 4.1 tablet. ¬†I think it took me longer to write this up than to actually do it ūüôā

Done on Linux Mint – bash commands are showing in bold italics

  1. grab a microsd card Рthey say that Sandisk brand, at least Class 4 works best.
    I have done this with both a 4GB and 8GB card, both worked, you can go larger – I am not sure if there is a max capacity supported by Android or the nook
  2. Download the boot image –¬†http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=32921666#post32921666
    Look for the attachment to the main article – generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5.zip
    I get a md5sum of : a2f15e48a5bb858db8ec02ccedbcb5b7
  3. glaw@mint:~$ mkdir nook
  4. glaw@mint:~/nook$ wget http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/jenkins/17892/cm-10-20130114-NIGHTLY-encore.zip  
  5. glaw@mint:~/nook$ wget http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
  6. glaw@mint:~/nook$ md5sum cm*.zip gapp*.zip
    3cc2124c8f91e133ec28d438ccd5204f  cm-10-20130114-NIGHTLY-encore.zip
    4e9e7ec3c22b0b3471bd05d62b8a659d  gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
  7. glaw@mint:~/nook$ unzip generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5.zip
    Archive:  generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5.zip
      inflating: generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5.img
  8. glaw@mint:~/nook$ sudo dd if=generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5.img of=/dev/sde bs=1M
    [sudo] password for glaw: 
    298+1 records in
    298+1 records out
    312560640 bytes (313 MB) copied, 69.6386 s, 4.5 MB/s
  9. eject the card and reinsert – I just disconnected my card reader and reconnected
  10. Mount the cd card – this is a 300 mb vfat parition

    glaw@mint:~/nook$ sudo mount /dev/sde1 /mnt
    glaw@mint:~/nook$ls -la /mnt

    total 8112
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Dec 31  1969 .
    drwxr-xr-x 27 root root    4096 Jan 18 00:13 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   14504 Feb 15  2011 MLO
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  289328 May 29  2011 u-boot.bin
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2756116 May 14  2011 uImage
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5234466 Oct 17 19:41 uRamdisk
  11. glaw@mint:~/nook$ sudo cp cm*.zip gapp*.zip /mnt
    glaw@mint:~/nook$ls -la /mnt

    total 253116
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      4096 Dec 31  1969 .
    drwxr-xr-x 27 root root      4096 Jan 18 00:13 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 158172246 Jan 19 10:14 cm-10-20130114-NIGHTLY-encore.zip
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  92706064 Jan 19 10:15 gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root     14504 Feb 15  2011 MLO
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    289328 May 29  2011 u-boot.bin
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   2756116 May 14  2011 uImage
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   5234466 Oct 17 19:41 uRamdisk
  12. glaw@mint:~/nook$ sudo umount /mnt
  13. eject the card,
  14. With the nook powered off, insert into the nook’s microsd slot and then power on. ¬†Sit back and relax for 4 and a half minutes :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsipwz3pk3I
  15. repower on the nook and welcome to Android Jellybean.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vaO3W6HJU4

 

WordPress – importing images from non-wordpress images directory

Working on a freelance site and somehow a bunch of images got uploaded to /images/2012/09/…¬† what the heck? I cannot even figure out how that happened.

Trying this new “smush.it” plugin and guess what, it only works off images inside the media manager.

After looking around for a couple hours, I finally figured it all out.¬† DISCLAIMER:¬† Before trying this, make sure you back up your database.¬† PHPMyAdmin has an “Export” option that will let you do this.

  1. First is a plug-in called “add from server” – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add-from-server/.¬† This plugin gives you a file manager type interface to browser your website directories, so I pointed it at /images and let it import from there.¬† I wish it was recursive, but no such luck.¬† Lucky for me, I only had to drill down into /images/2012/09/ and import from there as well as my top level /images directory.¬† Importing gives you the option of using the original file date, so it copies the files to /wp-content/uploads/2012/09 and maintains that same date based hierarchy.¬† From the /images directory I just imported those ones with today’s date, so they ended up in /wp-content/uploads/2013/01/…
  2. After importing I had to refresh some of my MySQL skills.¬† The trick was to search the database for src=”/images/…” and update that to be src=”/wp-content/uploads/…”.¬† It took me a couple tries to get it right.¬† I started with a SELECT statement to get the syntax correct.
    SELECT post_content,replace(post_content,’src=”/images’,’src=”/wp-content/uploads’) FROM `wp_posts` WHERE post_content like ‘%src=”/images%’;
    This let me verify the substitution was happening the way I wanted it to, then it was just a matter of rewrite this as an UPDATE query (after I BACKED UP MY DATABASE!), this was the query:update wp_posts set post_content=replace(post_content,’src=”/images’,’src=”/wp-content/uploads’)¬† WHERE post_content like ‘%src=”/images%’;